One of the biggest problems I’ve had with transitioning to a gluten-free diet is the lack of good bread options out there. I’ve tried a few different brands now and just find them to be incredibly bland, not to mention high in sugar and a serious hit to the wallet. So this weekend,after buying 100 different kinds of flour and starch (alright, I only had to buy 5…but it felt like 100), I was finally ready to tackle Chatelaine’s Gluten-free Multi-grain Bread recipe.
Some of the ingredients were pretty foreign to me but the staff at my local health food store were more than happy to help me track everything down. I will note that the final bill was a bit of a shock but I really only used a small amount of each item for one loaf of bread so I can rest easy knowing that baking my own bread will save money in the long run.
As with all baking projects, I recommend gathering all of your ingredients before you get started and if you’ve got the space, it helps to line them up in the order you will use them. Why you ask? Because….
- This allows you to make sure you have all the ingredients you need and keeps you from having to run to the store halfway through and risk ruining the dough.
- By lining them up in the order you will use them, you make it less likely to miss an ingredient.
- I’m all about speed and efficiency!
Once you’ve got everything lined up and organized, you can dive right in! This recipe is very straightforward and I imagine is pretty easy to make by hand but I used a food processor since I basically have no upper body strength and wanted to make sure everything was well mixed. I debated whether to use a standard mixer but mine is quite old and not in the best shape so I went with the food processor instead and it worked great.
GLUTEN-FREE MULTI-GRAIN BREAD (View the original recipe post HERE)
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp brown rice flour
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- ¼ cup teff flour
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup flax meal
- 1 tbsp xantham gum
- 1 8-g package quick rise instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water (about 110F)
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 2 egg whites (room temperature)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200F
- Grease an 8”x10” pan and line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper cut to size
- In food processor, pulse together all dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients
- Add wet ingredients to bowl of food processor and pulse a few times to blend dough together
- Use a spatula to scrape the dough evenly into the pan
- Put pan on middle rack and turn off oven
- Let sit inside oven for 1.5 hrs – DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR!!! I know, it’s like pandora’s box but seriously, if you open the door you will let the heat out and mess up your bread
- Turn oven on to 375F and bake until crust is golden brown – about 1 hr
- Remove pan from oven and let it sit for 15 minutes to cool
- Gently remove the bread from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
- Store at room temperature for up to 2 days
The end result is a perfectly soft and moist gluten-free bread. Excellent for sandwiches and especially excellent lightly toasted and served with my homemade tomato jam.